Friday, September 01, 2006

 

It's Hard to Not Be Pessimistic

Today is one of those days that I find it hard to be optimistic about the future, not only of the US but also the world in general. Maybe I'm watching and reading too much of the MSM, although I do more than balance it out by surfing through the liberal blogosphere. I get so sick of hearing the wingnuts screech about how the liberal media is unfair, or even part of a liberal conspiracy intended to prevent the conservatives from accomplishing anything, that I could just scream. Anyone who doubts just how illiberal the MSM really is only needs to read the hatchet job that Fread Hiatt did on Joe Wilson on the editorial page of the Washington Post today.

First of all, I'd like to think that considering how badly the Bushcofascists have screwed things up over the past six years, that a majority of Americans would be ready to show them the door. And even though most polls give the dems a good chance of taking over the House this time around, somehow I just don't believe its going to happen. The demo leadership is just not as ruthless as the rethuglicans, and even though dems have made some progress on the raising of campaign funds, they'll still get outspent in the end. Plus, I'm certain that we are in for more than one October surprise, like a major terrorist plot being uncovered at the last minute.

Not only do I not have enough confidence about the dems regaining some political power, I also have serious doubts about what they would do with it if they did. Maybe its just because I'm a "radical dad" as my liberal daughter recently told her mother, but the leadership of the democratic party will not even attempt to do so many things that I think are essential, and even if they were willing to try the corporatists who really control the American political system would prevent them.

I am also becoming increasingly convinced that the Bushcofascists are going to expand their "war on terror" to include Iran. I used to think they'd take out Syria first, but I think they'd decided to go for the whole enchilada. I think this is more true today because of the difficulties we are having in Iraq. I think they now believe that the only way we will ever end up with an acceptable and friendly Iraq, is if we take out the Iranian "fascists" first. They will probably try to decapitate the regime with air power, hoping that their targeting of the nuclear facilites also takes out Ahmadenijad and most of the mullahs, thinking this will be enough to prevent a major Iranian terrorist sponsored retaliation. Yes, I do think these people are crazy or deluded enough to think this will work.

Well, I'm not sure but I think this rant helps me even if no one ever reads it.

badick

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?